University College School was built at the beginning of the 1900s by the Dove Brothers in what is called an Edwardian Baroque style.
It incorporated Ham Hill stone dressings, rusticated red brick pilasters and gauged brick spandrels and piers. The building was opened on July 27 1907 by King Edward VII and the Archbishop of Canterbury.
University College School was designed by Arnold Mitchell and built by the Dove Brothers. The main school block has been Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England since May 1974.
The buildings comprise 3 separate blocks connected with covered link bridges in an Edwardian Baroque style. The masonry fabric consists of Ham Hill stone from Stoke Sub Hamden with red brick dressings and gauged brick tympanums.
DBRs masonry teams have been working on the schools historic fabric for over 15 years carrying out extensive stone replacement using new Ham Hill stone from the quarry in Somerset along with rebuilding and replacement of gauged brick arches and stock brick parapets. This includes replacing window heads, jambs, segmental arches and carved cartouches and figurines. DBR has also carried out masonry cleaning, consolidation and mortar repairs, and the reconstruction of parapets, gauged brickwork spandrels and piers.
DBR Leadwork contributed to the project with the incorporation of rainwater goods and leadwork coverings to the stone dressings.
Take a look at this project on Instagram.
More projects by DBR Southern teams can be found here.