St Thomas Hospital was built on its current site between 1868 and 1871 comprising of seven pavilions linked by arcades in an Italianate architectural style.
Extensive damage during the war, and construction of the East Wing in the 1960s, resulted in the small Victorian chapel being consumed within the maze of the modern hospital layout.
It is one of London’s most famous hospitals, associated with names such as Florence Nightingale and Sir Harold Ridley, and a prominent London landmark – largely due to its location on the opposite bank of the River Thames to the Houses of Parliament. The Chapel, a Grade II Listed building, lies within the three remaining Victorian pavilion blocks.
The chapel consists of Portland stone dressings internally with aisles and barrel vault ceiling in the Italianate style.
DBR London was principle contractor on St. Thomas Chapel’s interior refurbishment project in 2015, which included redecoration, stone repair, and extensive mechanical and electrical works such as rewiring, new floodlighting and refurbishment of the heating system.
The historic fabric was cleaned and conserved, redecorated and gilded including masonry, plaster and joinery surfaces. The terracotta triptych and marble memorials were cleaned and conserved by DBR Conservation as was the Chancel stonework. DBR Conservation were also responsible for all of the gilding work. The project comprised extensive M&E intervention including a new floodlighting scheme, fire detection systems and emergency lighting installation.
DBR Conservation was in charge of conservation of the chapel’s wall monuments, including the terracotta triptych above the altar by Sir Henry Doulton, and the extensive regilding to the chancel. Click here to read more.
More projects by DBR Southern teams can be found here.