St Peter’s Church in Brighton is a Grade II* listed building designed by Sir Charles Barry in the Perpendicular Gothic Style.
The Brighton Church was built as a result of a competition in 1824 to design a new chapel on the Steine. In 1873 St Peter’s became the Parish Church of Brighton. The church hall next to the building was built in 1927 as a memorial to those killed in the First World War.
The church was constructed between 1824 and 1828 using Portland stone facings, and the later chancel was constructed in 1898 using a contrasting Sussex sandstone.
DBR Southern has been carrying out masonry conservation and re-roofing work at St. Peter’s Church – Tower since 2010 to repair extensive damage caused by corroding embedded iron cramps and defective roof coverings. The works have included strengthening of the nave roof construction, replacement of the aisle roof coverings with zinc, dismantling and reconstruction of the tower parapet, and masonry repair to the clerestory walls.
Works consisted of erection of scaffolding externally and internally for roof covering replacement and repairs to the roof structure with the rebuilding of a repaired pinnacle on the Tower. Various stone work and timber repairs on the Nave and Clerestory were also carried out.
Internally DBR has carried out plaster conservation in the nave, aisle walls and ceilings.
Take a look at this project on Instagram.
More projects by DBR Southern teams can be found click here.