The Victoria & Albert Museum is the world’s largest museum of decorative arts and design.
The bulk of the buildings date from 1855 to 1909, but building work continues to this day with the development of new galleries and exhibition spaces.
DBR London commenced work in 2010 on the Portland stone and brick facades, beginning with the Aston Webb Building on Exhibition Road. Work continued with the Old Boiler House Courtyard and restoration of the terracotta and sgraffito facades of the Henry Cole Building. This three year project was part of the Exhibition Road Redevelopment Programme.
DBR London used nebulous water spray, Jos wet vortex and poultice cleaning on the Aston Webb Building project. Repairs to stone work included Portland stone pointing, indents, consolidation of statuary, as well as repair to historic damage from WWII bombs.
The work to the Henry Cole Building’s terracotta and brick facades included specially developed mild thixotropic chemical cleaning, as well as steam and poultice treatments. Terracotta replacement was undertaken to fractured balusters and cornice blocks.
The hollow voids in the sgraffito elevation to the rear of the building were lime grouted, consolidated with nanolime, secured with carbon fibre pins and repaired with hydraulic lime mortars.
DBR Conservation participated in the project with the restoration of the sgraffito on the upper elevation. Click here to read more.
More projects by DBR Southern teams can be found here.