In 1787 architect Henry Holland extended the original lodging house into a neo-classical building known as the Marine Pavilion.
The transformation of the Marine Pavilion began in 1815 and took seven years to complete.
George chose architect John Nash who proposed an Indian style in response to the design of the new stable block. Nash was also inspired by landscape gardener Humphrey Repton. Repton had published designs for a new palace based on Indian architectural forms. As such, Repton based many of his ideas on a publication called Oriental Scenery by Thomas and William Daniell (1795-1808).
DBR Southern teams began work on the alterations to the western central front. This was followed by the construction of the Great Kitchen and the two new state rooms – the Music Room and the Banqueting Room.
The entire building, the structure and the elaborate internal decorations, were completed in 1823.
DBR Southern has been commissioned in 2020 to carry out façade conservation works to the pavilions’ complicated domes, minarets, finials and parapets including redecoration and stonework repairs to the bath stone dressings.
Take a look at this project on Instagram.
More projects by DBR Southern teams can be found here.