The Freemasons’ Hall is set within the United Grand Lodge of England. This building serves as the governing body of Freemasonry in England, Wales, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and overseas Districts. The building was formerly known as the Premier Grand Lodge – established in 1717 in the Goose and Gridiron Pub.
This project included the investigation, repair and restoration of the large mosaic in the vaulted ceiling of the Grand Temple of the Freemasons’ Hall, a Grade II* listed Art Deco building. The initial phase of the work consisted of compiling past surveys and previously commission reports, as well as carrying out additional investigations to create a plan for the treatment of severe cracking within the fabric of the mosaic and losses of tesserae.
This included thermal imaging positioning, endoscopic investigations, ultrasound NDT testing, metal detection, tap testing, chemical and microscopic mortar analysis, archival research, and asbestos surveys. The DBR Conservation team then carried out the essential treatments for the metal corrosion, consolidation of the substrate and mortars, filling and stabilisation of cracks, replacing losses by sourcing tesserae, surface cleaning, and gilding of the inscription.
Take a look at this project with a closer eye, through this video on Instagram.