St Peter’s Church is considered one of the finest examples of the pre-Victorian Gothic Revival Style in England. Alternatively and unofficially described as “Brighton’s cathedral,”
St Peter’s Church was built as a result of a competition in 1824 to design a new chapel on the Steine. In 1873 St Peter’s became the Parish Church of Brighton. The church hall next to the building was built in 1927 as a memorial to those killed in the First World War.
It is a Grade II listed building, and was constructed from 1824–28 from a Sir Charles Barry design.
DBR Leadwork was part of a major conservation project for Brighton’s St. Peter’s Church – Aisle Roofs. This included replacing both aisle roofs with new milled zinc sheet and batten roll joints.
Other responsibilities included the removal of the promenade tiles containing asbestos, and lifting the asphalt covering to expose the original roof timber.
The renewal of roof coverings with repairs to the roof structure together with plaster work repairs and redecoration to the East and West Aisles was also undertaken. The installation of Lightning protection was also a part of the project.
Take a look at this project on Instagram.
More projects by DBR Leadwork teams can be found here.