St Mary the Virgin, the ancient parish church of Lewisham, has been a place of worship for nearly 1000 years.
Records show that a church existed there as early as the 10th century, while the present church was built in 1770s to the design of George Gibson. Gibson incorporated the marvellous medieval tower (1471-1512) made of flint, rubble and Kentish Ragstone. The chancel, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, was added in 1881 when the nave was remodelled in Victorian style.
DBR Leadwork is currently working at St Mary the Virgin, replacing the 1960’s nave roof, which was suffering serious deterioration, causing extensive damage internally. The first task was to completely remove the slate and lead from the nave, then new enlarged timber gutters were constructed to replace the deteriorating inadequate structure. These replacements will then be lined with Code 8 milled lead sheeting. Later this spring, DBR Leadwork will cover the new roof in Penrhyn slate. The project is scheduled to be completed in April 2017.
Take a look at this project on Instagram.
More projects by DBR Leadwork teams can be found here.