Westminster Hall

DBR London

Westminster Hall, completed in 1099 for King William Rufus, was used for holding court, great feasts, coronation banquets, the occasional tournament ceremony with jousting in New Palace Yard, and trials for crimes against the kingdom.

The Hall was remodelled by Richard II between 1393 and 1399, and was completed by Henry IV in 1401. This work included installing a hammerbeam roof with the greatest span in Europe. On 16th October 1834, Westminster Hall and parts of the Cloister Court were saved from a great fire that destroyed the rest of the Palace of Westminster.

~~~~~~

DBR London was commissioned in 2014 to carry out Phase 2 of the Hall’s masonry conservation requirements to the east, west and south internal walls, with external masonry work to the east and west window surrounds.

The project lasted 10 months and included designed and phased access scaffolding, latex cleaning of the magnesian and French limestone facings, stonework pointing and indenting to eroded tracery and carved niche pinnacles.

~~~~~~

The work also included conservation of the Victorian and medieval Reigate decorative carved stone such as the bosses, corbels and labels stops, which was carried out by DBR Conservation.

Back to PROJECTS View Gallery