St Thomas Chapel, Westminster

DBR London

St Thomas Hospital was built on its current site between 1868 and 1871 comprising of seven pavilions linked by arcades in an Italianate architectural style.

Extensive damage during the war, and construction of the East Wing in the 1960s, resulted in the small Victorian chapel being consumed within the maze of the modern hospital layout.

The chapel consists of Portland stone dressings internally with aisles and barrel vault ceiling in the Italianate style.

~~~~~~

DBR London was principle contractor on this interior refurbishment project in 2015, which included redecoration, stone repair, and extensive mechanical and electrical works such as rewiring, new floodlighting and refurbishment of the heating system.

DBR Conservation was in charge of conservation of the chapel’s wall monuments, including the terracotta triptych above the altar by Sir Henry Doulton, and the extensive regilding to the chancel.  Click here to read more.

 

Back to PROJECTS View Gallery