St Peter’s Church, Upper Beeding

DBR Leadwork

St Peter’s Church is also known as the “Sele Priory Church” and was for many centuries a Benedictine Priory.

It was almost completely demolished and rebuilt in 1307-1308. The church was an early part of Tractarianism, and under the influence of the Oxford Movement it has long stood in the “country Catholic” tradition.

~~~~~~

DBR Leadwork carried out extensive roof repairs to the tower and nave gutter. The work included careful recording and removal of the Horsham stone roof, which was set aside for re-use.

The wall plate and rafters were repaired using English oak with scarf joints and reinforcing stainless steel shoes.

The Horsham stone was re-laid with slate under cloaking and the gutters reformed in code 8 lead.

Back to PROJECTS View Gallery