St Mary Abbots Church

DBR Conservation

St Mary Abbots is a remarkably beautiful church in Kensington London designed in the late 19th century by the celebrated architect Sir George Gilbert Scott.

~~~~~~

DBR Conservation was in charge of the conservation and restoration of the church’s Resurrection Chapel, previously known as the War Memorial Chapel, in time for the WW1 centenary events.

Among the conserved objects and monuments were: the Monument to Alfred and Leopold by Princess Louise, a delicate kneeling angel of limestone and gilded lettering; a rare ‘Oppy Cross’, an original 1917 wooden battlefield marker from France; and a Kensington Battalion Shield, a gilded metal shield. Additionally a new commemorative board of painted lettering was designed and commissioned.

Other work included the repair and restoration of the Chapel’s dado woodwork, which is poignantly decorated with the carved names of fallen soldiers, and the cleaning of the painted ceiling, which required historic paint analysis to investigate previous decorative schemes.

 

For an example of the DBR Conservation Conservation Report, please click here.

 

Back to PROJECTS View Gallery