St George’s Church, Kemptown

DBR Southern

St. George’s Church was built between 1824 and 1825 in a Neoclassical style with an exterior of yellow brick and stucco ornamentation.

Inside there are galleries at the northern, southern and western sides, reached by curved staircases. After Rev’d James Anderson became curate of the Church in 1828, his close association with the Queen Adelaide, the consort of King William IV, made the church very popular.

DBR Southern carried out façade cleaning and conservation to the church fabric including repair and replacement of Gault brick arches, stucco repairs and redecoration, and treatment of the clock tower using Keim mineral paint. Internally, the stained glass windows were reconstructed, and internal plaster repaired.

Roof repairs were carried out by DBR Leadwork.

Back to PROJECTS View Gallery