Christ Church Highbury

DBR London

Christ Church Highbury is an Anglican church in north-west London.

It was built by Thomas Allom in a cruciform shape with a short chancel, transepts, and nave from 1847-1848. Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner write that the church ‘is a successful and original use of Gothic for a building on a cruciform plan with broad octagonal crossing.” Since then, several changes have been made to the church, including the addition of a balcony in 1872, and new rooms for children’s work and fellowship in 1980.

~~~~~~

DBR London was responsible for the restoration of the church’s tower, where the Bath stone masonry had suffered from 170 years of wind and rain, a corroding steel structure, as well as a host of past poor repairs.

DBR worked with the architects to identify defective areas, which were cut out and templated, and the exposed steel was treated with a rust inhibitor. DBR London then used new Bath stone for the replacements such as the corbel course, which was completely reinstated. Many of the decorative carvings also needed to be replaced, and DBR stone carvers worked with artistic precision to create the new work.

As part of the project, the church’s weather vane was also gilded in 24 carat gold.

Please click here to the read more about the project in an article in the Islington Tribune.

 

Back to PROJECTS View Gallery